Thursday 11 July 2013

Chilli Cheese Dog Pies

I know it's a little bit late for the 4th of July, but here's a little tribute to America, the undisputed kings of junk food. Chili cheese dog pies.


I would have loved to have brought a whole pile of chili dogs to the July Band Of Bakers event, but it wouldn't really be practical. It wouldn't really be baking, either. So this is the next best thing.

First of all I obviously had to make the chili. I made it fairly hot, with a large chili pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, Tabasco, and smoked chili paste. Once it had cooled, it was time to assemble the pies.


Twelve individual pastry cases with hot dogs inside...


Topped with chili...


And red cheese...


And yellow cheese (as I imagine Americans might call it). Then baked in the oven for 20 minutes.



Served warm(ish) with a dash of American mustard.



It's funny how things always taste hotter when you're cooking them. My wife coughed and spluttered when she tried a spoon of the chili, but in the final pie format, it tasted rather tame. Just as well I brought the mustard!

Taste


Classification



No comments:

Post a Comment